1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice

Beware of Security System Solicitor Going Door-to-Door

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Neighbor1104, May 28, 2006.

1. Neighbor1104

Neighbor1104 New Member

Neighbors of Broadlands -

I wanted to make you all aware of a solicitor going door-to-door in our community right now.

Over the last several days, a guy from a company called "APX" (pronounced "Apex", like the legit security company) has been canvassing my neighborhood going to houses that advertise they have a security system installed (ADT, Apex, Brinks, Vector, etc.) This guy pitches a problem with the currently installed system (if the phone line is cut from the outside on the back of the house, the alarm will sound if the house is broken into, but the monitoring company won't be notified). He says that his company has a fix for this problem, which is, installing a new cellular keypad and then hooking it up to their monitoring center. Sounds good, but this is where it gets interesting, and a bit sketchy...

1. He says that they have a hard time marketing this "fix", so they're going door-to-door (and only targeting homes with existing security systems, instead of trying to sell systems to new customers as well)

2. He's willing to do it for free

3. He wants to do it immediately, and doesn't have business cards when you ask to think it over and then follow-up with him

4. He said a Loudoun County cop around the corner just had it done and he also installed some upgrades on windows, etc.

5. He asked for my marital status and name

It didn't set right with me, so I called both my security company and the Sheriff's office soon after he left. They sent an officer out to look for the guy. You just never know when someone is actually trying to case your home. Please be wary of this individual if he comes knocking in your neighborhood...and don't answer any of his questions, as he may just be fishing for info. He will be wearing a black or navy polo shirt with "APX" stitched in red, and goes by the name of Jeff or Alex, if I recall correctly.

And, I'm not the only one a bit unnerved by this guy...my next door neighbor was, too. Stay safe!

2. Mr. Linux

Mr. Linux Senior Member & Moderator Forum Staff

Yep, this same guy paid my wife a visit during the day while I was at work earlier this past week. Same exact pitch he gave you. My wife told the guy we already had a security system (which is obvious when you see the large signs on the front and back of the house). It took my wife a few minutes to finally get rid of him. That evening, he came back, and when I answered the door, he claimed that my wife told him to come back, that we were interested, and that my wife ask that he talk to me. Obviously, that was total BS, since my wife had told me what had happened earlier in the day. Each time he would start talking, I would keep repeating "Excuse me, but my wife already told you we weren't interested, and I'm telling you the same." He would keep talking on and on, until about the 6th time of repeating the above line, I finally told him to immediately get off my property. I shut the door, he left, and I proceeded to start the "chain of courtesy phonecalls" we do between neighbors on our street when annoying door-to-door sales folks come by.

(Except Girl Scout cookies! Keep'em coming!!! :))

This company was obviously targetting stay-at-home moms, using high-pressure tactics, and finally, lieing in order to make a sale. Buyer beware!

3. ExRIGuy

ExRIGuy New Member

We've actually had confrontations with him in our hood. Someone threatened to call the cops on him. Shows up after 9 one night. Not sure what to think of him, just aggressive/ambitious or someone to worry about. Someone called his employer and they do admit to employing him though, FWIW...

4. msflynn

msflynn New Member

"We've actually had confrontations with him in our hood. Someone threatened to call the cops on him. Shows up after 9 one night. Not sure what to think of him, just aggressive/ambitious or someone to worry about. Someone called his employer and they do admit to employing him though, FWIW..."

and he does have the county certificate that is required for him to sell door to door. I am pretty sure he is legit. When he came to my home I told him I called the cops on the last Apex guy and he quickly left my door no questions asked and not very interested in selling me anything.
    I have a feeling that Apex is just on overly forceful company in there selling methods and that they use scare tactics to get to people

Staci

5. sri_n

sri_n Member

Time to resurrect this thread again. A person from "AMP" security firm is employing the exact same tactics. Was just at my door moments ago. Sent him off saying I'll call him if I am interested. But the story was EXACTLY the same.

6. Mr. Linux

What part of Broadlands are you in?

7. kevinq

kevinq Member

Gary Washington of www.secureyourfamilyasap.com paid us (well, our door since we didn't open it) a visit around 7:30pm. We live in the SW Townhouse section.

8. Mr. Linux

Just as an FYI, this site is hosted in the UK and the domain is owned by the following individual:

Paul Morrison
    1137 Heatherstone Drive
    Fredricksburg, Virginia 22407
    United States

Notice that the domain is not owned by a business. The site claims that the company behind it is "Absolute Security, Inc." The Better Business Bureau gives this company a B- rating; it has quite a few complaints against them:

http://www.bbb.org/richmond/busines...te-security-inc-in-fredericksburg-va-37012316

Finally, the 'offer terms' at the bottom are posted as an 'image', making it difficult for a normal user to easily copy/paste the terms, etc.

There is no local business address or phone number anywhere on that site.

My personal opinion, people shouldn't even bother opening their door.

9. redon1

redon1 aka Aphioni

THANKS LINUX! this is really useful info- appreciate you doing the research!

10. Ozgood

Ozgood Not a space alien

This is kinda creepy. Sounds like this guy is collecting information to see which houses are easier to hit.

I don't think I would ever do any security business from a door-to-door sales dude.

11. sri_n

sri_n Member

Townhomes across from Summerbrooke Pool.

He did share a phone number and a website. www.ampalarm.com.

12. technosapien

technosapien New Member

Note:
    If you are a little concerned about these sham-salesmen's claims of a cut phone line meaning your security system won't alert the "home office" -- call your security company and ask them if their system registers a cut phone line. Also most security companies already offer Cellular backup as add-ons to existing security plans. If you want cellular backup, stick with the company you have, right? :)

13. SarasMom

SarasMom Member

Maybe the same group??

- Solicitor Violation
    : Deputies were called to a residence when a resident complained of overaggressive solicitors selling home alarm systems on the 100 block of West Juniper Avenue in Sterling at 8:55 p.m. Friday. The suspects, both of Fairfax, were charged with soliciting without a license.

14. Gride

Gride New Member

Yesterday I had a guy come to my door purporting to work for ADT. He tried on several occasions to have me let him into my house (my husband was out and I was home alone). His unprofessional approach to selling security was a major red flag for me. Upon inspecting his business card more closely, his company is Absolute Security Inc USA, only an authorized dealer for ADT. Something about his nature made me very uneasy and I wanted to alert all other HOA members to watch out for this guy. He did make a follow-up call to my husband so the sale seems legit but his pushy approach towards a woman who was home alone was very disturbing.

Has anyone else had the same experiences?