1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice

Vandalism - PEANUT ALLERGIES - Broadlands Playground - HOA Cleanup plan

Discussion in 'Broadlands Community Issues' started by Neighbor, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Neighbor

Neighbor Member

I was at the Broadlands playground (the one behind that old farmhouse on Waxpool) yesterday and somebody had spread peanut butter all over it. It was easy to see on the swing chains, but it was spread thinly on the monkey bars and the sliding pole. It was definitely intentional. It was spread on the swing chains pretty thick which is where we first saw it (with a JIF lid nearby), but it was more lightly spread all over the monkey bars and the pole you slide down. I didn't notice it on these items at first but it felt slimy and I saw some thicker parts on closer inspection.

This type of vandalism could seriously injure or kill a person with peanut allergies. If you see this happening at other playgrounds, please post to this forum (and notify the HOA and/or the police). The vandalism may intially seem innocuous, but peanut allergies can be life threatening and a prankster may unintentionally (or deliberately) send someone to the hospital or worse. If you know of someone who was involved in this, please report them to the police.

HOA, do we have a way that this can be throurougly cleaned? I’m not sure of the best method, but it probably involves disinfectants, high-power washers, and lots of scrubbing.

2. Mr. Linux

Mr. Linux Senior Member & Moderator Forum Staff

When you notice something like this, PLEASE call the HOA office immediately. HOA staff don't always have the time to constantly monitor the forums here and the best way to get traction on resolving an issue like this is to call directly.

Thanks!

3. mamatothree

mamatothree New Member

We have been made aware of the situation and our maintenance man plans to power wash the playground equipment today.

4. tjfsh

tjfsh New Member

Oh my goodness, this is absolutely terrifying to me as I have a 2-yr-old son who is severely allergic to peanuts who plays on this playground occasionally. Thank you for posting this and thank you to the HOA for thoroughly cleaning this, though I don't think we will playing on the playgrounds anytime soon after reading this.

5. Sunny

Sunny Chief Advisor

This is a malicious crime, not vandalism, and I hope the HOA pursues whomever did this. I am calling the HOA right now (out of earshot of my peanut-allergy kid) and I fully expect a criminal investigation. I am also calling the police.

6. Sunny

Sunny Chief Advisor

I encourage everyone here to do the same. This could kill a child.

7. tjfsh

tjfsh New Member

I really appreciate the HOA's efforts to thoroughly clean the playground; however, I did a little further research and am not sure power washing with water alone will effectively remove the peanut protein. It appears from the link below from the Food Allergy and Anaphalaxis Network that soap must also be used.

http://www.foodallergy.org/page/cleaning-methods

8. mamatothree

mamatothree New Member

A cleaning agent was used in scrubbing all surfaces of the equipment and the swing chains are being removed and power washed off site with a cleaning agent as well.

9. PAgirl

PAgirl New Member

My husband went running and peanut butter was spread on quite a few benches he passed on the paths in the neighborhood.

10. Neighbor

Neighbor Member

Parents - Please talk to your teenage children about the seriousness of this incident. I'm not sure if one or more teenagers did this as a "harmless" prank (that goes way too far!) or if they were deliberately being malicious, but either way they need to understand that this is not harmless, nor is it funny - it could cost an innocent child their life! My 6 year son has a life threatening peanut allergy. If he were to go down that slide and get that amount of peanut butter on his legs, hands, arms, etc., he would have gone into anaphylactic shock. I'm very upset that someone would do this (and potentially do many children great harm). I, too, reported this to the police.

Thank you, HOA, for cleaning the playground with soap and water. Please run an article in the monthly newsletter -- an article that let's the community know what happened, but also helps educate adults and kids to the seriousness of food allergies.

11. JLC

JLC Member

I wonder if it was the same people that hung the chicken feet in the tunnel?

12. luftinarr

luftinarr Member

13. sportzfish

sportzfish New Member

14. CoachCal

CoachCal New Member

A decade or so ago when I was in HS, it was a common prank to do this to people's cars because of how difficult it is to clean up. I'm sure the kids don't know how serious it is for those with allergies. I second the idea of talking with your kids. My wife/daughter have done play dates with kids who have these allergies, so we'll be teaching our own children the risks it can have on others to share peanut products...

15. Kaosdad

Kaosdad Will work for Rum

You don't even need to share the snack! I was on a flight not too long ago and the crew could not hand out snacks and checked everything anyone had brought on board. There was a child on board so allergic to peanuts that opening a snicker's bar in his immediate area would send him into shock!!!!

16. boomertsfx

boomertsfx Booyakasha!

why don't I remember anything like this growing up in the 70s/80s? Did kids just die before people knew more about allergies, or is it an issues with nut products nowadays?

Hopefully the clinical trials to desensitize kids to these allergens is helpful.

Here's an interesting article I found:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/are-nut-bans-promoting-hysteria/

good perspectives from both "sides"

17. KTdid

KTdid Well-Known Member

I think there are a couple of theories, but the one that I find the most credible has to do with our use of pesticides, antibiotics and chemicals. This seems to be the one constant factor attributable to the worlds health and environmental woes.

18. redon1

redon1 aka Aphioni

i thought it was Bush's fault?? :happygrin:

19. sharse

sharse TeamDonzi rocks!!

:pofl:

Actually, I think it's Carter's fault. When he was in the White House he made sure any and all stories that painted peanuts in a bad light were buried and destroyed!!!!!!

20. afgm

afgm Ashburn Farm Resident

Jeez, this daggone story is on the front page of yahoo. Link to NBC Washington TV site.