1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice

Ashburn Village HOA Elections

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by vacliff, Oct 26, 2010.

1. vacliff

vacliff "You shouldn't say that."

Villager-
    So what was the outcome of the election. Did Doug Carlson get re-elected?

2. Villager

Villager Ashburn Village Resident

Re: The unsaid thread

The contentious Ashburn Village HOA elections concluded last night, resulting in a board split between two incumbents and two challengers.

The race had been dubbed the most controversisal in the community's history and saw a slate of three challengers working with an incumbent member to unseat three incumbents, including the board's sitting president and vice president.

When all the votes were counted overnight, challengers Karen Guthrie, who is also a former board member, and Jack Ryan were elected along with incumbents Doug Carlson, who is the HOA board president and Richard Nutwell, a past president and current board member.

HOA Vice President Bob Graham and Board member Dave Austin were not reelected and challenger Gene May also did not make the cut.

Rifts had formed in the community over several issues, most notably plans to renovate the Ashburn Village Sports Pavilion and how that project would be scheduled and financed.

Guthrie, Ryan, May and Austin formed a coalition calling for more transparency in disclosing the HOA's financial dealings and vowed to unseat the then-board, saying they were mishandling the issue and failing to adequately share information with the community.

However, Carlson, Nutwell and the rest of the incumbent board maintained discussions of plans for the sports pavilion were transparent and properly advertised, and any resident interested in learning more about the project would be accommodated.

http://www.leesburg2day.com/articles/2010/10/25/ashburn_today/news/805ashburnelections102010.txt

3. Ken

Ken Member

Full disclosure: I don't live in this community. I wandered in here from the Internets looking for info about Ashburn restaurants.

This comment was left on that article:

Is this true?

4. Villager

I don't know. That information is from the Guthrie folks on their website.
    http://ashburnneighbors.org/blog/?p=87

Regardless, I feel that the website group's attitude is very negative and that disappoints me. I agree with some of their stances in general but their accusative tone really turns me off.

5. Villager

According to an HOA staff member upon my inquiry:

There are five (5) classes of members per the Association’s Governing Documents: Class A members (TH/SF) homeowners, Class B members (multi-family unit owners), Class C members (commercial units), Class D members (Civic lots) and Class E members (the Declarant). Class C, Class D and Class E members no longer vote.

The Class B members which are Wingler House, Ashburn Meadows, and Saddle Ridge apartments are entitled per the Governing Documents, Article 4., Section 4.2 of the Amended and Restated Articles of Incorporation, one vote per every four units owned. Each year, those members are sent the Annual Meeting Package which includes their proxy and ballot just as every Class A member received.

As a result of last week’s vote, two of the candidates that were not elected to the BOD have requested a recount. Once the Elections Committee conducts the recount, the results will be posted accordingly.

6. afgm

afgm Ashburn Farm Resident

AVHOA will be better off now that Austin isn't on the board. Congrats to the winner.