1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice

roof cleaning video, great resource

Discussion in 'Homeowners Corner' started by sunnydog, Aug 20, 2011.

1. sunnydog

sunnydog New Member

2. boomertsfx

boomertsfx Booyakasha!

cool, thanks for posting

3. sunnydog

sunnydog New Member

So on Friday (9/2) we had our roof cleaned by American Pro Tech (APT), whose ad is posted here: http://www.broadlandshoa.org/hoaforum/showthread.php?t=24456

Overall I can only say that it was a pleasure dealing with Ted (the owner) and the results are fantastic. Here's a summary of the experience.

Phone Call: I spoke with APT over the phone to ask about getting a quote. Ted initially told me that he generally gives quotes by using Google or Bing Maps to look at the roof and estimate the amount of cleaning that needs to be done. However, he did say he would gladly come out if I wished to meet in person. I was a bit put off at the idea of using a satellite image to determine the staining on my roof and after quickly looking at my house using google, I informed Ted it would be unlikely that he could get a clear picture of the damage due to the shadowing but he was welcome to try. Ted called me the next day and told me I was correct and that he would need to come out. Yay me!

Meeting: About 20 minutes before the scheduled time, Ted called me to say he was running late. Bonus point awarded. Once there, he looked over the roof and identified the areas that had the algae, explained how the algae eventually attracts lichen, which in turn brings moss, which finally leads to damage. That's right, the algae doesn't cause damage, it just looks unsightly. So right now, I don't even need to do anything; but I did. ;)

Ted then went on to talk about how he cleans the roof using a chlorine based solution applied from a low pressure hose system. He said that the force of the stream was similar to that of a garden hose without a nozzle; so no damage to the shingles. Ted also mentioned the safety of the product and how he applies a something at the base of the downspouts to absorb the solution as it washes out in future rains.

He then showed me his business license, his insurance (and he explained how to contact the company and have a certified form sent with my address to show that he was insured for this particular job), and he then wrapped up with the obligatory photo selection of past jobs.

Ted made it a point several times that payment was to be made ONLY if I was satisfied. If not, no need to send a check. He also stressed that WHOEVER I went with, just make sure that no high pressure system is used to clean the roof. As that will damage the shingles.

Ted wrapped up by providing a quote and offering a discount on the spot for writing an unbiased review on the Broadlands HOA forum. Not a favorable review, but what I honestly thought about the service. I was really impressed by the low pressure sales tactics that Ted used.

Price: Although I knew that I would most likely use APT, I told Ted that I had some additional quotes coming in. Ted said no problem and again reminded me about using high pressure systems on the roof. APT's quote was the lowest of 3 estimates at $425, with the highest being $1100. The third quote was $575 for pressure washing the roof, um no thanks.

Service: I wish I could say that I was here to watch the process but I was not. However, the roof looked great and I'm amazed at how new it looks. APT guarantees the cleaning for 2 years (as did all other companies that I called). Ted wrapped up the job by leaving a long voice mail giving a summary of what was done.

Sadly I don't have before & after pics but I'll contact APT about getting them. Overall I was very impressed! Apparently our neighbor was as well as they had APT clean their roof right after ours!

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

4. khodes

khodes New Member

I will agree with all of the comments above. After seeing the truck in our neighbor's driveway, I went over to ask for an estimate for our house. Ted was very helpful and explained the process to me in detail. He was able to do our house that same day and I am very pleased with the results. I would highly recommend American-ProTech.

5. Roof Cleaning Virginia

Roof Cleaning Virginia New Member

We were very happy to read that you both were pleased with the results. It's extremely gratifying to have such an instant and dramatic effect on curb appeal. Both of your homes are absolutely gorgeous; especially with those unsightly streaks and stains being long gone. Thank you for your business.

We do take before and after photos, yet the battery in the camera didn't cooperate this time. I have 'before' pictures of the sunnydog residence, but no 'afters'. And no pics at all of the khodes' home.

For ease of reference for others reading this thread, I have included before and afters of another recent client, this one located in the easternmost reaches of Leesburg.

The difference in curb appeal is amazing!

Attached Files: