1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice

No FiOS in 2006, maybe 2007

Discussion in 'Community Broadband & Computers' started by jim, Feb 21, 2006.

1. jim

jim New Member

I just received the following response to an email I sent to Verizon's Communtiy Relations manager. In a nut shell, no FiOS for my street (I live on Fernbrook Ct.) in 2006 and no commitment for 2007. I assume this includes Broadlands in general. Read it and weep. On the advice of a few on the forum, I signed up for Adelphia last week. I ran the cable up underneath the siding and punched it into our office area. Adelphia will hook it up on the 27th.

-Jim

Thank you for your inquiry. Thanks too, for being a Verizon customer - -
    and for wanting to stay a Verizon customer with our new FiOS product line!
    As you have probably heard, Verizon's FiOS network enables us to offer
    consumers more reliable voice, much higher speeds for Internet access, and
    (where we obtain appropriate franchises) FiOS TV.

While I believe the benefits of FiOS are worth waiting for, I understand
    your impatience with dial-up facilities. Unfortunately, your street is not
    scheduled for FiOS construction in 2006. Your e-mail to Mr. Woltz (see
    below) is accurate in that delays have been caused by a number of factors,
    including permitting issues, the rock content of the soil, etc. I checked
    to see if we could serve your address with DSL service but, again, your
    e-mail message is correct - - your area is not equipped for DSL service.

As you can imagine, the 2007 construction schedule will not be known for
    some time. You may check for updates to FiOS service availability by
    calling 888-933-3331 or 800-688-2880, or by visiting www.verizon.net/fios.
    And, of course, the renewed presence of crews performing construction work
    will be another sign.

My thanks again for your inquiry and for being a loyal customer - - and my
    sincere apologies that FiOS service is not yet available in your
    neighborhood.

Sincerely,

Doug Brammer
    Verizon External Affairs

2. jjenkins

jjenkins New Member

How does this affect people in Southern Walk. All I have been told by Openband is 100mbps download, but from this thread it sounds like that' a joke? What are the speeds people are getting in Southern Walk area/Broadlands South.

3. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member Forum Staff

4. jjenkins

jjenkins New Member

That's good, thanks for posting that link. I was getting worried when Jim was talking about going with Adelphia. I'm looking forward to getting away from them :)

5. neilz

neilz New Member

Um ... you really haven't read all the Openband topics, have you ? :whistle:

6. tideland

tideland Resident Since 1998

Bummer; wish we had other alternatives then Adelphia for as much as the cost...:(

7. flynnibus

Sorry, having reliable cable service is better off them most people.

Some people can choose between DSL and Cable.. not everyone.. and even fewer can choose between FIOS and anything else.

Honestly, you can't complain about adelphia except the cost. You could be worse off.. you could be locked into openband with no hope of alternatives ;)

8. Dutchml

Dutchml Member

Adelphia has been a lot better over the last year or so. Earlier, when you tried to sign on you didn't know whether you'd have a connection or not. With respect to the cost, I don't think Verizon would desperately try to make their FIOS service a bargain, even if they could blast their way through the rock to install it.

9. flynnibus

the FIOS pricing is INCREDIBLY aggressive.. and on the TV side as well. Verizon is really trying to lowball everyone and sweep away market share from the incumbant cables and woo away the digital dish receivers.

FIOS internet is cheaper then adelphia and is first phase already 2-3x faster then adelphia.. and is primed to scale to 100meg+ to the home.

10. neilz

neilz New Member

I agree Adelphia and their reliability over the past few years. Since the construction moved south, we've had less local disruptions due to lines being cut, etc.

The latest major disruption basically killed all of Loudoun as one of their trunk feeds got cut. However, that lasted only 3 or 4 hours.

While the pricing is more than I'd like, once Comcast comes in, it may change for the worse !! However, Comcast just raised the speed of their service in Reston (not sure of the service level they raised), and Adephia is being very aggressive at adding new services such as VOD, VTRs, HiDef, etc.

As someone once said "Better the devil you know .... "

11. TigerFan

TigerFan New Member

Speaking of Comcast coming in....Has there been any announcements about when we can expect the switchover, I've been dragging my feet to ditch my AOL email address to adelphia.net. I would rather just change when Comcast gets here.

12. neilz

neilz New Member

The last time I was in the local office on Red Rum Dr, the CS person said they have not been told anything about a timeline.

13. Hanko

Hanko New Member

Well that sucks.....We should do what my friends in South Riding did.

They presented a business case to Verizon for coming in with FIOS. We should get our telecommunications committee to do the same thing.

It seem incredibly ironic that with so many high b/w users from high tech companies that we should be the "poster" community for this service. Verizon should also be interested in getting the OpenBand users.

Does that make sense?

14. flynnibus

Verizon has no right-of-ways in SouthernWalk. They can't just lay fiber alongside their copper like they can everywhere else. They can't do much of anything in the south.

Ashburn area is rock, making running new trenches or 'pushes' problematic. We can't even get a traffic light in without major hassles. Go look at your nearest new home construction site and look at all the boulders too.

Basically, high potential clients.. but ain't easy to get it in. Verizon seems to be going after the markets where they can target easy deployment and hopefully cable franchises.

15. Hanko

Hanko New Member

I can't speak for the cable plant on any other streets but at my house there is a flexible conduit that runs from the house (NID) to the Verizon post. IMHO, pushing a fiber optic cable should be easy. Is my set up unusual?:confused:

16. neilz

neilz New Member

What street are you on ??

17. Hanko

Hanko New Member

Kitchen Prim Court

18. neilz

neilz New Member

I've not seen that in my area, they may have started that later on in the northern end construction. Of course, that's not saying that they have those conduits to bring fibre up to the neighborhood.

19. neilz

neilz New Member

20. Pictor Guy

Pictor Guy New Member

I don't believe it. I won't believe it until I have it. I can't believe it.

::suffering from stockholm syndrome::