1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice

LCSO Investigates Reported Rape on Trail Near Claiborne Parkway & Dulles Greenway Sat

Discussion in 'Broadlands Community Issues' started by Dkukrer, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Dkukrer

Dkukrer New Member

Loudoun County, Virginia- The Sheriff’s Office is investigating a reported rape that occurred Saturday night in the Ashburn area.

The 16-year-old victim says she was walking on a trail near Claiborne Parkway and the Dulles Greenway around 8 PM when an unknown subject came up from behind her. The suspect forced her into a wooded area off of the trail where he sexually assaulted her.

The suspect was described as a White male, in his late teens to early twenties, with brown eyes and short black hair. He was further described as being around 6’ tall with a thin build. The suspect was also described as having very bad acne and acne scars. He was wearing a long white t-shirt and black sweat pants at the time of the incident.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Investigator D. Canham of the Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to contact Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

2. redon1

redon1 aka Aphioni

Re: LCSO Investigates Reported Rape on Trail Near Claiborne Parkway & Dulles Greenway

this is awful. there was a suggestion of curfews on the trails for persons under 18 at the neighborhood watch meeting. while the trouble makers would still do whatever they do, the innocents would be protected since THEY are more likely to follow the rules...

our thoughts and prayers go out to this girl and her family.

3. Mr. Linux

Mr. Linux Senior Member & Moderator Forum Staff

Re: LCSO Investigates Reported Rape on Trail Near Claiborne Parkway & Dulles Greenway

For what it's worth, the lights on the trail behind the townhouses south of Vestals Gap have been 'screwy' for the past few weeks. They turn on during the day, off around 1am, etc. I've emailed Wes about the issue. We've been having problems with these lights for the past few years. The 'controller' is located in a low spot near the tunnel that goes under Claiborne and as such, gets flooded often, or some kids take turns throwing large rocks into it or kicking it.

UPDATE: Wes has gotten back to me, as of this morning (April 30), the lights along the trail near the tunnel have been repaired; a new circuit breaker and photocell were installed.

Sorry to take away from the essence of this thread. Just thought it was somewhat related information.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the young victim and her family.

4. jjenkins

jjenkins New Member

I just saw my email (same one that was pasted on the thread)...it's horrible to think that happened in our 'backyard' if you will. I really hope that the girl and her family are strong and pull through this horrible incident.

5. vacliff

vacliff "You shouldn't say that."

I wonder exactly where this occurred.

6. jjenkins

jjenkins New Member

To close to home for many of us ... but I agree, would knowing the area maybe help locate the perp who did this, or put the victims identity at risk?

7. Mr. Linux

I would also be interested in knowing the 'direction' the victim was walking towards...

8. vacliff

vacliff "You shouldn't say that."

I contacted the sheriff's office. The alleged incident occurred east of Claiborne, north of the Greenway, south of Windmill Rd in Ashburn Farm.

9. SarasMom

SarasMom Member

Cliff,
    Thanks very much for the additional info.

10. Mr. Linux

Here's the latest information and a sketch of the suspect attached below:

Loudoun County, Virginia- Loudoun Sheriff’s Investigators have released a composite sketch of a suspect in a reported rape that occurred Saturday night in the Ashburn Farm area.

The 16-year-old victim says she was walking on a trail near Claiborne Parkway and the Dulles Greenway around 8 PM on April 28th when an unknown subject came up from behind her. The suspect forced her into a wooded area off of the trail where he sexually assaulted her.

The suspect was described as a White male, in his late teens to early twenties, with brown eyes and short black hair. He was further described as being around 6’ tall with a thin build. The suspect was also described as having very bad acne and acne scars. He was wearing a long white t-shirt and black sweat pants at the time of the incident.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Investigator D. Canham of the Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to contact Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

Attached Files:

11. rmolina

rmolina New Member

Mr. Linux. Thanks for posting this. I just posted not realizing one existed. Anyone interested in a neighborhood watch or forum at the nature center to find out where authorities are with the investigation and what we can do to help?

12. Mr. Linux

No problem at all; I took the liberty to remove the other post just to keep things centralized here...

You might want to look at the latest Broadlands newsletter; I believe there's some contact information for the Neighborhood Watch program for Broadlands.

13. Donna F

Donna F New Member

If you're interested in participating in the Neighborhood Watch or just want to be notified of events or important issues, let me know and I will have you added to the list serv. There have been a few changes in the NW, I am the chair of the program and Stevens anbd Erica are co chairs.

I am hoping (once the list serve is up and running) to send out up dates on the statistics, etc as well as some of the options that we are looking at as to additional patroling, etc.

As for the rape that occured, Deputy Johnson, who is our liaison to the HOA board mentioned during the annual meeting that while the investigation is still open and the investigation is still being worked, they did have a good description of the guy. He said that he really couldn't give out much information because it was still being worked but that the thought was that it was a single incident. I hope to try to talk to the sherriffs office this week and I will let you know what I learn.

14. sharse

sharse TeamDonzi rocks!!

Donna... what else does the NW do besides sending out the emails?

15. Donna F

Donna F New Member

Sharse,

The NW program has been going on for many years, however the problem was/is that people were not getting actively involved. The average number of residents that attended the meetings was about 3 to 4. It is hard for such a small group of people to create an active program that works to protect this community when the remaining aren't interested in getting involved.

The best way to (at least) get information out to the community was through email, that way people at least had an idea as to the events that were occuring in the community and how they might be able to protect themselves.

I am hoping that at our next HOA meeting we will make a desicion on the proposal I received from a security company to patrol our streets and have that firm augment the communities involvement.

While we don't have a big problem now, this is the time to get a program in place so that our problems don't escalate.

I am hoping to continue to notify residents through email, put information such as past and current crime statistics, etc in the newsletter and offer tips on safety etc. I hope to have the sheriffs office offer safety classes, etc.

The problem to have an active NW program is getting people involved, so I am hoping that by your comment you are able to offer some suggestions as to what else you would like to see and how you propose to get people involved.

Please let me know if you would like to become involved because this program is only as good as the number of people who attend the meetings and help.

16. sharse

sharse TeamDonzi rocks!!

I wasn't criticizing anything... I was just asking what they do. I actually wanted to go to the last NW meeting but due to business travel was unable to attend. I was at the annual meeting so I heard the updates given and I do hope to get more involved when I can attend meetings. I appreciate the information that gets dispersed, and I do get the emails.

Anyway, I was just wondering if the NW patrolled or did anything else. Again, not criticizing, just asking.

17. Donna F

Donna F New Member

Sharse, I appreciate your comments, I hope you didn't take offense to my reply, I truly do appreciate any feedback. Thanks

18. techygirl

techygirl New Member

My daughter and her friends in Middle School are talking about another possible rape that happened to another 16 year old actually in Broadlands.
    According to their gossip chain, it happened last night around 8 PM. I oh so hope that they just heard about this other one late and that another one did not happen. Does anyone know? I would like to hear that this is like the telephone game and that another one did not happen....does anyone know?

19. Mr. Linux

I usually get alerts directly from the county regarding incidents such as this; I have yet to receive anything, but I'll see what I can find out... If anyone else gets any info, please post it in a new thread, with a post in this one referencing the new incident thread.

20. tyger31

tyger31 Member

I also get alerts and have not received anything either.