1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice

Flicks in the Sticks - July 14 8:45pm

Discussion in 'Local Area Events' started by Dawne, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Dawne

Dawne HOA Sec/Treas, Tech Comm

Just a reminder that Flicks in the Sticks will be showing another great family movie on Saturday night, July 14, starting around 8:45. Join us on the Nature Center lawn!

Note: The Ashburn Today newspaper included a short article on this event in the July 6 issue (not sure why)...so we may have a larger than expected crowd.

2. smheese

smheese New Member

where is a listing of the movies. i find it extremely strange that they never tell the names of the movies anywhere.

3. T8erman

T8erman Well-Known Member

They can only give a discription. Legal stuff prevents listing the actual title.

This months movie is Happy Feet.

4. hornerjo

hornerjo Senior Member

Its interesting, however, that the Ashburn newspaper listed the title twice!

5. Mr. Linux

Mr. Linux Senior Member & Moderator Forum Staff

True, but they never contacted either the Tech Committee and/or the HOA before putting that article in their paper. If they would have communicated with us, we would have instructed them NOT to post the title of the movie. Additionally, I would have made sure that they specified that this activity/event was for Broadlands residents. Now, we'll have to see how many folks scattered around Ashburn decide to show up for our movie night, and possibly taking away space/seating that could be used by the residents for whom we run this event for in the first place.

If you ask me, I'm VERY irritated that Ashburn Today posted that information without first contacting us; it would have been the considerate thing to do...

6. vacliff

vacliff "You shouldn't say that."

I contacted Ashburn Today about this issue. Here was their response:

Cliff and Dawn -
    Thank you both for your e-mails regarding Flicks in the Sticks.
    I apologize for our printing information that is intended to be for
    Broadlands residents only.
    In our attempt to better cover Ashburn, we were overzealous in
    publicizing what I now understand to be a community-only event.
    Please do let me know of events that you would like us to publicize in
    our Ashburn paper.

7. Sunny

Sunny Chief Advisor

I was less than pleased when I saw the Broadlands Live blurb as well. Someone called me and asked how it got started, I told them some residents got together to start the neighborhood concerts, answered a few questions and said that we would prefer not to be listed in the paper for all to see (although all of our community is invited). I am kicking myself now for even chatting with her at all...
    BUT- It IS going to be a fantastic show on Friday night so make sure your Broadlands Bottoms are there!!!

8. vacliff

Unlike Flicks, Broadlands Live! is intended to reach outside the community, so I wasn't bothered to see that in the paper. My understanding is that was what helped sell advertising.

9. Sunny

Sunny Chief Advisor

you're right, but we have been doing a very selective marketing effort. We chose not to list the events in the paper b/c it might draw TOO big a crowd. We do send out an incredible amount of postcards, but it is to our neighboring 'hoods. This way we do keep it a community event, bigger than the Broadlands alone- and smaller than all of Loudoun.
    It's not a big deal- I just hope that it remains a manageable crowd over the years.

10. vacliff

When Van Metre gets around to building the amphitheatre near the barns by Clyde's, we'll have a bigger location to have the concerts.

11. ChrisL

ChrisL Member

I didn't even know we were getting an amphitheatre? That's great.

12. vacliff

I guess it will probably be more of a sloped grassy area than a true amphitheatre. Don't want to raise expectations too high!