1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
    Dismiss Notice

Flag in Front Of Sunoco

Discussion in 'Broadlands Community Issues' started by GeauxTigers, Dec 22, 2007.

1. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers Member

Has anyone noticed the flag flying in front of the strip mall with the Sunoco? It's heavily worn and seems to literally be hanging by one grommet. I noticed this after it was brought to the attention of the Sunoco cashier by a fellow patron but it was also fairly clear the message went misunderstood. Does anyone have a contact for the strip mall to request the flag be replaced, or at a bare minimum removed from the pole?

2. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers Member

pic attached

Attached Files:

• flag.jpg
      flag.jpg
      File size:
      113.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Kaosdad

Kaosdad Will work for Rum

The rules clearly state that this flag MUST be replaced.

We can do this by force if needs be.

4. Silence Dogood99

Silence Dogood99 New Member

5. technosapien

technosapien New Member

I'm in. When should I get out the ninja suit and bolt-cutters, and where do we meet? :ninja:

6. stevensrmiller

stevensrmiller Stevens Miller

I have contacted Sunoco about this. They gave me the name and phone number of the appropriate district manager, and say it will be taken care of shortly.

Stevens Miller
    Board of Supervisors-elect
    Dulles District

7. cindyb

cindyb New Member

Thank you Mr. Miller!

8. Silence Dogood99

Silence Dogood99 New Member

This is the kind of quick, decisive action that will win a politician grassroots support. Thank you.

9. stevensrmiller

I'm happy to try to help. I live near that station, and don't like seeing this display every day.

It turns out that the district manager for this region is on vacation for another ten days. I have a call into his area manager. Also, the owner is a Broadlands resident whom I have spoken to about other matters, when I was on the HOA board. I'll see if I can contact him directly.

Stevens

10. vacliff

vacliff "You shouldn't say that."

The owner has been spoken to. Here's the response I got:

Just talked to the owner up in PA; they are going to either fix the chain and replace the flag or remove the pole altogether.

11. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers Member

Sounds reasonable. Having it replaced rather than removed is preferable but certainly either is way better than the current situation. I was out of town for New Years and totally forgot about this. Thanks for bringing it back up. Of course the next time I drove that way I would have remembered.

12. stevensrmiller

I spoke to Sunoco's District Manager today. She said she agrees that the flag is in an unacceptable condition. She also said that the pole mechanism is broken, preventing the lowering of the damaged flag, and that Sunoco is in the process of finding a contractor with a crane or cherry-picker that can reach the top of the pole and remove the old flag.

More when I have it.

Stevens Miller
    Dulles District Supervisor

13. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers Member

I noticed the other day that the pole is indeed gone. Thanks for taking action.

14. stevensrmiller

I was a bit surprised when I noticed the entire pole was gone. That's a rather more dramatic result than I would have anticipated. I hope they'll replace it soon, as I rather like seeing the flag on display. But I won't pressure them about it, as I think government officials should try not to meddle in the affairs of private industry when they can avoid it.

Regards,
    Stevens

15. Kaosdad

Kaosdad Will work for Rum

I hope they are just getting the pole repaired. However, I would not be surprised to learn that they found demolition cheaper than repair.

16. vacliff

vacliff "You shouldn't say that."

As I posted earlier, they said they would replace the flag or remove the pole. Looks like they did the latter. Don't know if it's coming back.

17. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers Member

I agree that replacing the flag is more desirable than removing it but after Cliff had stated the situation I assumed that removal was more likely anyway. Mr Miller, I agree that inaction on your part at this point is the right choice. Thanks however for your part in getting the initial issue resolved, even if the owner gave the minimal level of satisfying the request.