Broadlands supports its residents and surrounding communities through a variety of community outreach programs. If your organization is interested in partnering or sponsoring an event, or if you would just like to volunteer, please contact Julie Holstein at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 520-9904.
CURRENT OUTREACH PROJECTS & EVENTS
GIRLS ON THE RUN>>(click for details)
Girls on the Run is a physical activity based youth development program for girls in 3rd-6th grade. The program teaches life skills through dynamic interactive lessons and running games. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment, while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness.
This spring, the GOTR team will meet twice weekly on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 4:30pm-5:30pm at the Nature Center grounds for outdoor, physically distant practices. The program culminates in a celebratory 5K at the end of the season! The program includes 16 sessions, a t-shirt, water bottle, entry into the 5K, a 5K medal, and more.
Register online February 8th through March 9th at www.gotrnova.org or 703-273-3153 for questions
- January 25: Site registration deadline for NEW and RETURNING program sites for Spring 2021 season
- February 8 (9AM EST) – March 9 (11:59PM EST): Participant registration is open
- March 10: Lottery is run, teams are confirmed, and coaches get rosters
- March 10 – March 26: Late registration is open for teams that are not at capacity
- March 13: Coach supply pick-up day
- March 15: First day of the Spring 2020 season
- May 15-16: End of season 5K events (dates are tentative!)
- May 16: Final day of the Spring 2021 season
PLASTIC BAG RECYCLING PROGRAM IS BACK ON>>(click for details)
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING RECYCLING
- Bring your plastic grocery bags, single use, and case overwraps to our drop off site in front of the Nature Center building. Look for the bins to the right of the front door with this FLYER>>
- While we are restarting this program for residents to drop off plastic bags, please be aware NOT ALL PLASTICS are eligible for this program. Accepted plastics are listed HERE>>
- When unaccepted plastics are included, they contaminate the entire collection.
- DO NOT include plastic cups, lids, straws, hard plastics such as laundry detergent bottles.
- DO NOT include any grocery plastics OTHER THAN the bag you carry groceries home in, cereal bags and bread bags. The bags that cheese, fruits, pet food or toys come in are NOT ACCEPTABLE.
- Check out this great video on recycling plastics>>
- Questions on Recycling? If you are unsure if something can be recycled, please contact email@example.com BEFORE including it in our collection bin.
COMPOST SURVEY – Results>>
The composting program will not be moving forward due to a lack of community support and too many logistical issues to make it feasible at this time. We thank everyone who participated in the survey. If you would like more information about composting efforts (unrelated to the HOA), please contact Diana Weber at firstname.lastname@example.org
WOMEN GIVING BACK>>(OH HOLD AS OF JAN 2021)
Effective Jan 2021, this drive is temporarily on hold as WGB is not able to accommodate our donations at their facility. Please stay tuned when this drive will resume.
CLOTHING COLLECTION DRIVE: Support Women Giving Back by donating women’s clothing, shoes and accessories, along with boys & girls clothing, and winter coats for women and children. All Sizes.
BLOOD DRIVE COMES TO BROADLANDS>>(click for details)
COMFORT CASES>>(click for details)
THANK YOU! The 2020 Comfort Cases drive and packing party may have been held on a smaller scale in 2020 due to COVID, but it did happen and was still a success thanks to our wonderful sponsors, volunteers and everyone who donated. Stay tuned for the next Comfort Case event in 2021!
PAST OUTREACH EVENTS
2020 National Night Out at the Nature Center
Briar Woods High School Staff giving a shout out to their ALL STAR students! Watch Video>>