In March of 2019, Broadlands installed 128 solar panels on the roof of the Nature Center to generate power to offset the usage for that building. This nearly 40 kW system can potentially offset over 40 tons of CO2 emissions each year!
Check out the solar energy monitoring website to see how much power our system is currently producing.
Here are some charts showing the comparison of Nature Center energy use before/after installation of the solar energy system
Want solar for your home?
Solar can be a great way to offset your utility bills – but be sure to do your homework to be sure it’s right for your home. Here are a few resources to get you started:
- Visit Domion Power’s website for information on Net Metering – required for residential solar energy systems.
- Visit Loudoun County’s website for information on real estate tax exemption for residential solar energy systems.
- Visit the IRS website for information about federal tax credits for residential energy credits (Form 5695).
If you own a commercial building in Broadlands, you can also benefit from solar. Business owners can benefit from:
- 30% Tax Credit
- Depreciation of the system cost as a reduction in your business’ taxable income
- Loudoun County CPACE Financing