Attention Kindergartners through 5th Graders, come to the Broadlands Nature Center on the following Monday holidays and spend the day with the Naturalist!
All program times are from 7:45am – 2:45pm, Please click on REGISTER HERE for details, to register and pay:
- For the February 20th Holiday: Presidents’ Day REGISTER HERE>>
- For the May 29th Holiday: Memorial Day REGISTER HERE>>
As a new service to the community, we are offering full-day Nature Center Adventures on Monday holidays. We know everyone doesn’t get the day off; and if the kids have a holiday from school it should be fun and memorable. The programs will be held outdoors as much as possible, dress accordingly. Grades 3rd-5th have the opportunity of doing animal care training and becoming part of our Youth Naturalist program. All participants will take part in animal care, nature learning, scavenger hunts; learning through creating, and games. Hours for this program are the same as the school, 7:45am – 2:45pm, with options to lengthen if needed. Price per day is $50.00 with a reduction of $40.00 per child if multiple children are enrolled. These programs include all of the materials, but none of the food (please send a packed lunch with your child). The ratio of instructor to participants will never be greater than 1:12, 24 students maximum. Youth Naturalist interns will be present to support animal care training and interactions as well as to facilitate team games.
IF WE DO NOT GET A MINIMUM OF 8 PARTICIPANTS, THE PROGRAM WILL BE CANCELLED AND YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED PRIOR TO THE PROGRAM DATE.
*****CANCELLED DUE TO LOW PARTICIPATION****
Do Not Miss Out On This Unique Opportunity…Hurry and Sign Up Now!
$10 per participant, ****PLEASE NOTE: Due to the fast pace of the course, mature teens are welcome, but adults are our primary audience.
Colds and Flu Prevention and Cures: Make them yourself with our local plants $10 per participantEach participant will leave with locally grown and prepared on site Sambucus Negra (elderberry syrup) and two bath salt preparations for colds. 7 other preventative and healing herbal remedies will be demonstrated and healing soup recipes distributed. Learn how to prepare teas, tinctures, syrups, bath salts and homemade cough drops for yourself and family.
HURRY AND SIGN UP NOW!!!! HERE>>
Come to the Nature Center and pitch your tent. Tent set-up begins as early as 4:00pm, or come whenever you can. Meet and greet the animals of the Nature Center at 7:00pm and gather round our fire pits for S’mores. Bring your own dinner– one that does not need to be cooked on our fire pit as we will have the embers occupied with marshmallow roasting.PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED: $10 per tent includes S’mores treats and access to the facilities. Please select the Buy Now button to pre-register and pay for this event.
Fire pits will be ignited at 7:30pm and the Firefly 5K Meander will begin. Fireflies won’t be visible until around 8:45pm. $4.00 per participant Come walk our forest paths to see the last fireflies of the season. The start and finish of the walk is at the Nature Center where we will be roasting marshmallows by the fire pit all evening and into the night so you can enjoy them when the path adventure is complete. Pick up your glowing arm band at the Nature Center front desk early; OR pay online and retrieve a band on the night of the event by clicking: HERE>>
Sherri will teach you the basics of birding and include identification
of the many we have right here. This will be a recurring class
beginning with basics and moving to advanced bird-keeping in
coming weeks. Ages 12+. To learn more about Sherri’s store, Wild Birds Unlimited, please visit: http://ashburn.wbu.com/
ARE YOUR KIDS AGED 9-14? DO YOU HAVE PLANS FOR THEM THIS SUMMER? TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY, A ONE-OF A KIND, EXTRAORDINARY SUMMER CAMP ONLY OFFERED IN BROADLANDS! SIGN UP WHILE REGISTRATION LASTS, SPOTS ARE LIMITED.
Join Jason Drevenak, primitive skills expert and founder of North American Bushcraft and Erin Fairlight, head naturalist of Broadlands, for a week of living in the wilds right here at the Nature Center and surrounding forests.
REGISTRATION: Opens Monday morning at 9:00 am on March 1 and closes on April 1. There are only 12 spots available. Camp runs 8am-5pm, M-F with additional BBQ/Sleepover on Thursday. Click to Register HERE>>
- Camp runs June 27-July 1, 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday-Friday for ages 9-14.
- Campers will build shelters, satchels, tools, cordage, bows & arrows, and create water filtration all from the materials in our neighboring forests.
- Other activities campers will learn: Build fires without matches, create emergency wilderness medicine with our local plants, forage for food, learn tracking, tree, animal, and insect identification.
- Campers will learn about the skills and tools Native Americans and early frontier people utilized daily to produce food, shelter, water, music and thrive off of the land. All activities are designed for the group to begin and end together, no one is first or last; we do every thing as a team. By the end of the week all campers can expect to have created several crafts such as their own wooden spoon, buckskin leather bag and a basket made from native materials.
- $400 per camper (with special discounts for siblings. please contact naturalist@BroadlandsHOA.com for modification in pricing for families)
- $40 for additional sleepover/BBQ night on Thursday, June 30th
Fridays: March 11 & 18, Construction/Craft Days Begin 3pm-5pm at the Nature Center…
- Friday, March 11th, 3-5pm, Build Dinosaur Fossil Models ($8, all ages welcomed) Please pre-register by click HERE>>
Next Friday Craft Date: March 18th, 3-5pm, Construct Monarch Rearing Cages ($10, all ages welcomed )Please pre-register by click HERE>>