Did you know that you can eat hundreds of flowers? We’re going to. Or, at least, we’re going to plant piles of different flowers that are entirely grabable for added salad romance. And yes, you can grab them. This is your Broadlands community food forest garden. Painting With a Twist, a local art studio, will be with us this Saturday to teach the short and tall how to paint flowers. Each person gets to take home their own canvas as we plant and sample edible flowers in our community gardens.
COST: $10 per person. Payment must be received by noon on Friday, July 17.
PAY ONLINE: Click the following link and scroll down to the Buy Now button for this event: PAY NOW>>
In this adult program we will learn the technique of straw bale gardening while installing a garden on the edge of the Nature Center. We will also discuss deer prevention through the use of herbs, and companion plantings for fruits and vegetables. Bring the kids too. They can make seed bombs. We will scatter them throughout the Broadlands forests to plant millions of wildflowers.
Program Time:10:00am-12:00pm Doors open at 9:45am
Cost: Pre-paid price is $ 4.00/person (Payment must be received by noon on Friday,June 12, 2015.) Payment on day of event: $5.00/person
To sign up and pay: Please visit the following ‘Pay Here’ link click on the ‘Buy Now’ button: PAY HERE>>
“Under the Sea” brings a virtual visit to the beach with LIVE SEA ANIMALS! Get up close with a ghost crab, mole crab, horseshoe crab, clam and more! Learn about waves, sand, tides, and the sun. Kiersten Gibizov, a naturalist with Under the Sea, has been offering one of the best programs on aquatic life with a wide variety of live sea animals!
Program Time: Nature Center 10:30am-12:00pm, Doors open at 10:15am
Cost: On-day of event: $5.00/child
2018 BROADLANDS COMMUNITY EVENTS
Unless otherwise stated, all event purchases are final.
For Nature Programs & Events, click HERE>>
- Craft Fair, Saturday, October 20,10:00am-2:00pm, Details on vendors HERE>>
- Halloween Decorating Contest, week of October 21st, details>>
- 3rd-5th Grade Halloween Costume Party, Friday, October 26, 6:00pm-8:00pm, details>>
- Kids Halloween Parade, Sunday, October 28,3:00pm-4:30pm, details>>
- Comfort Cases, donate during October, for details, click on 2018 Comfort Cases Flyer>> Comfort Cases Promo Video>>
- Middle School Dance – An Evening Under the Stars, Saturday, November 10, 6:30-9:00, details>>
- Wine Glass Painting (and Pino) Event, Sunday, November 18, 2:00pm-4:00pm, details>>
- Visit with Santa, Friday, December 7, 4:30pm-8:30pm, **New Location: Nature Center**, details coming soon
SCENES FROM OUR MANY WONDERFUL EVENTS!!
2017 POOCH POOL PARTY Click picture to view…
20th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION – 2015
THE BUG MAN! – February 14
Program Time: 10:00am-11:00am, Doors open at 9:45am
Cost: Pre-paid price is $4.00/child. Payment must be received by noon on Friday, February 13, 2015. Payment on the day of the event: $5.00/child. Pre-pay online at broadlandsnaturally.org or at the Nature Center.
With 100’s of real bugs to share, “The Bug Man” provides a fascinating educational program for children of all ages. This exciting program will introduce you to ecology and basic entomology of insects. You will learn about their importance, followed by their coolest defense strategies and life cycle. Throughout the program he will be showing real live bugs! And, you will have a chance to pet his collection of bugs at the end!
Date: Saturday, January 10th
Time: 10:00 AM- 11:00 AM
Loudoun County Animal Services is offering a community outreach program geared towards Home Owner Associations. Loudoun County citizens often have questions regarding lost animals, nuisance wildlife and commonly enforced laws. Topics to be covered are among:
- Commonly enforced state and local laws to include: Running at large, Dog noise; Barking dog complaints, Dog waste and odor, Animals confined in a hot car, Animal cruelty/neglect
- Nuisance Wildlife: Rabies, Wildlife response in our community
- Overview of Animal Service’s programs and public services
- Animal related resources
- Open forum for questions
* Potty trained children ages 4 and up may participate in the concurrent Naturalist-Led Scavenger Hunt program without a caregiver while parents are attending the Loudoun County Animal Services program in the conference room.
Naturalist-Led Scavenger Hunt
Date: Saturday, January 10th
Time: 10:00 AM- 11:00 AM
Cost: $4/child pre-paid at Broadlandsnaturally.org or $5/child day on day of the event
Children of all ages and their caregivers* are invited to participate in a naturalist led, nature-themed scavenger hunt to be held in and around the Broadlands Nature Center. Remember to dress for the weather!
* Potty trained children ages 4 and up may participate in the scavenger hunt without a caregiver while parents are attending the Loudoun County Animal Services program in the conference room. Registration forms will be required and can be filled out at drop off.
This fun educational program will dispel
myths about the mysterious bat and
provide the audience with a natural history
and knowledge of these misunderstood
creatures. The presentation is followed by
live bats! Best for older children.
Come watch Sunny the albino corn snake eat his
lunch after the show between 11:00 and 11:30 am.
Cost: $4/child advance registration by Friday, November 7. $5/child at door on day of event. To register and pre-pay online, please visit: http://broadlandsnaturally.org/2014/04/19/bat-world/
Find out what all the furry, feathered and scaly friends do as the temperatures dip and the snow moves in. Learn about migration, adaptation and hibernation. Animals in this program might include opossum, rabbits, snakes, turtles and chickens. Cost is $4.00/child for advanced payment and registration made by noon on Friday, October 10, 2014. Please register here: www.Broadlandsnaturally.org. Cost is $5.00/child if paid at the door on the day of the event.