1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice


Discussion in 'Community Broadband & Computers' started by Twriter, Jun 18, 2002.

  1. Twriter

    Twriter Get a Mac!

    Feb 25, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Now that community wireless is more of a reality, I have a nuts-n-bolts question.

    I already have an 802.11b network in my house, serving a half-dozen computers. I'd prefer to have the wireless link not be from CWC's antennas to each of my computers, but rather to an access point in my house. Then from the access point I'd designate one computer to act as a firewall (or should I buy a hardware firewall?), then distribute the service through my existing 802.11b network.

    Can my existing 802.11b access point "talk" to both my in-house network and CWC? Or do I need to purchase a second access point?

    What's the advantage of using a hardware firewall over a software firewall? Anyone have any recommendations?

    --- John
  2. hornerjo

    hornerjo Senior Member

    Jan 8, 2002
    Likes Received:
    This will be a common question. What you want is the exact same thing I want. You will need the Linksys WET11 ethernet->wireless bridge. It begins shipping any day now. You plug it right into your current Cable/DSL router.


    It *may* need an external antenna to reach CWCs antenna, cause I don't know the signal strength of this thing yet (ie, 30mw or 100mw).


    Got Broadband?
  3. joy

    joy New Member

    Feb 12, 2002
    Likes Received:
    This is all new to me, so you might have just answered my question but I'm not sure.

    I would like to network my desktop and laptop via 802.11b. From my understanding, all I need to do is make an "ad-hoc" connection and buy a PC card for my laptop and a USB for my desktop (choosing that instead of PCI).

    When the Community WISP comes out, I'm assuming I'll want one account and share it across my PCs. However, I'm not sure what other equipment (if anything) I would need for this. I don't want to buy the USB for the desktop if I will end up replacing it for something else shortly. Basically, if there's one piece of equipment to connect my desktop to my laptop AND access the community WISP for internet sharing.

    Am I making any sense here?

    My thoughts were, I can just sign up with one of my 2 PCs, and use the wireless connection between them to share. However, that would require one of them being on at all times. I'd prefer some piece that acts as a gateway from the WISP to my house and my PCs connect to that.

    Am I making any sense here?

    Ok. Enough rambling. If you can answer any of this please do.

  4. vweisenburg

    vweisenburg New Member

    Feb 15, 2002
    Likes Received:
    All you will need to add is the Ethernet Bridge that will plug into the RJ45 port on the back of your Wireless Access Point (if you have a Linksys WAP device). Then you should be able to use the WAP to share the wireless connection just as you would any other network connection.
  5. weshsu

    weshsu New Member

    Jun 26, 2002
    Likes Received:
    I would also add in a router into the mix as a first line of defense against potential hackers. Either purchase a wireless router, or a WAP and a router.

    Currently, I use a SMC Barricade wireless router to share my DSL service. I highly recommend this unit. If anyone's interested in a low cost Netgear router, please contact me.

Share This Page