1. Yes, it's a whole new look! Have questions or need help? Please post your question in the New Forum Questions thread Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice
  2. Seeing tons of unread posts after the upgrade? See this thread for help. Click the X to the right to dismiss this notice

HLS Spraying Herbicides

Discussion in 'Nature/Habitat/Garden Corner' started by KTdid, Aug 26, 2015.

  1. KTdid

    KTdid Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2006
    Messages:
    3,133
    Likes Received:
    80
    There's something seriously wrong when our 'certified wildlife habitat' community continues to allow herbicide spraying. It's especially disturbing watching them spray on the common property that abuts our wetlands. They poison our plants and harm insects, including our pollinators.

    Why is this allowed to continue? Is our HOA budget so strained that we rely on the lowest bidder for landscaping? Why have we not looked at safer alternatives? There's nothing sustainable about this practice.

    Herbicides and pesticides has been linked to kidney and liver damage, reproductive toxicity, endocrine disruption and it's a known carcinogen.
     
    bulldogz likes this.
  2. bgirl

    bgirl New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2006
    Messages:
    86
    Likes Received:
    3
    I agree! We had two dogs that died of cancer, and we have a new puppy that we are doing everything to try to prevent cancer. I was very disturbed yesterday when we went for a walk and found every piece of grass around our townhome with signs that said something had been sprayed. What was it? Was it a toxic chemical? What can we do to make a change?
     
  3. KTdid

    KTdid Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2006
    Messages:
    3,133
    Likes Received:
    80
    HLS told me it's a weed killer and claimed it is safe but we know there's no such thing. The common chemicals in weed killer is diquat, 2,4-D, and glyphosate. Look them up. They're indiscriminate chemicals and remain in the soil long after it's no longer affective. This is why they have to keep applying it. Many common household cleaners are also toxic.

    What can be done? I haven't a clue how you change a mindset that believes a sterile toxic environment is acceptable as long as it keeps the community attractive. Definitely wipe your puppy's paws after a walk and avoid walking near the treated areas.
     
    bgirl likes this.

Share This Page