Sherri will teach you the basics of birding and include identification
of the many we have right here. This will be a recurring class
beginning with basics and moving to advanced bird-keeping in
coming weeks. Ages 12+. To learn more about Sherri’s store, Wild Birds Unlimited, please visit: http://ashburn.wbu.com/
The Technology Committee meeting scheduled for Wed, 4/20 has been cancelled.
The next meeting is Wed, May 18 at 7:30 pm at the Nature Center.
FREE EVENT TO BROADLANDS RESIDENTS ONLY – Get Together With Your Community Members to Better Your Body, Mind and Spirit for a session of gentle yoga stretches for beginners or a more advanced one for intermediate yogis.
Two morning sessions will be held at the Clubhouse, located at 43360 Rickenbacker Square
- Session I: 9:00am-10:00am This is a slow flow vinyasa yoga class for beginners that offers modifications for the various fitness levels.
- Session II: 10:45am-11:45am This session is an intermediate vinyasa yoga class. The pace will flow faster through the yoga poses and some intermediate and advanced poses will be offered but also with modifications for various levels.
Please bring your own yoga mat and towel. After each session enjoy a mini massage and some light refreshments. Each session limited to 40 participants. Sign up at: signupgenius.com/go/20f0b4da5a923a6fc1-yoga This event is for Broadlands residents only.
Saturday, April 2 from 10:00am – 12:00pm at Hillside Park, 43051 Waxpool Road
Spring Eggstravaganza – FLYER
Led by Peter Cottontail, the parade will begin promptly at 10:00am on the path next to the Community Center. Follow Peter as he makes his way through the tunnel to Hillside Park where there will be eggs to hunt. Stick around after the egg to enjoy balloon twisters, a hay ride, moon bounce, and a Ferris ride. Please limit eggs to 10 per child so everyone gets some.Bunny photo opps will be available after all of the eggs have been collected…don’t forget to bring your camera!You don’t want to miss this fun event ! Please walk or park at the Community Center and KinderCare parking lots. In the event of inclement weather, visit our furry friend at the Community Center to take photos and collect eggs.
BEEKEEPERS BUZZ: INTRO TO BEEKEEPER CLUB
Saturday, April 2 from 2:00am – 4:00pm at the Nature Center
Beekeepers Buzz – FLYER
Have you ever wanted to learn how to care for the bees? Especially as we hear daily how important they are to our own food production and how their colonies are in collapse. On April 2nd we will have a basic bee learning session from 2pm-4pm and begin our local colony of beekeepers: that’s you! Then April 23rd we will construct beehives 10am-12pm to be used in nature preserves in our surrounding area. No experience is required. All materials are included. We just need a few willing to learn the art of beekeeping.
THIS FRIDAY, April 1, 2016 @ 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
HURRY! SIGN UP HERE>>>
Smashing Geodes, Dissecting Plants, & Building Birdhouses
April 1st, 4pm-6pm, $7/person, (ages 6-12)
Become a Paleontologist Series Continues: Break open your own geode, hunt for and learn about other minerals and gemstones.
ARE YOUR KIDS AGED 9-14? DO YOU HAVE PLANS FOR THEM THIS SUMMER? TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY, A ONE-OF A KIND, EXTRAORDINARY SUMMER CAMP ONLY OFFERED IN BROADLANDS! SIGN UP WHILE REGISTRATION LASTS, SPOTS ARE LIMITED.
Join Jason Drevenak, primitive skills expert and founder of North American Bushcraft and Erin Fairlight, head naturalist of Broadlands, for a week of living in the wilds right here at the Nature Center and surrounding forests.
REGISTRATION: Opens Monday morning at 9:00 am on March 1 and closes on April 1. There are only 12 spots available. Camp runs 8am-5pm, M-F with additional BBQ/Sleepover on Thursday. Click to Register HERE>>
- Camp runs June 27-July 1, 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday-Friday for ages 9-14.
- Campers will build shelters, satchels, tools, cordage, bows & arrows, and create water filtration all from the materials in our neighboring forests.
- Other activities campers will learn: Build fires without matches, create emergency wilderness medicine with our local plants, forage for food, learn tracking, tree, animal, and insect identification.
- Campers will learn about the skills and tools Native Americans and early frontier people utilized daily to produce food, shelter, water, music and thrive off of the land. All activities are designed for the group to begin and end together, no one is first or last; we do every thing as a team. By the end of the week all campers can expect to have created several crafts such as their own wooden spoon, buckskin leather bag and a basket made from native materials.
- $400 per camper (with special discounts for siblings. please contact naturalist@BroadlandsHOA.com for modification in pricing for families)
- $40 for additional sleepover/BBQ night on Thursday, June 30th
- Backyard Birding with Sherri Barlett has been cancelled due to low enrollment! Stay tuned for a date in April!!
- Paint a Canvas with Ms. Lacy 10am-12pm, $10 all
materials included. Back by popular demand. Paint with a
master! 6th-9th graders only. To pre-register and pay, please click HERE>>
Fridays: March 11 & 18, Construction/Craft Days Begin 3pm-5pm at the Nature Center…
- Friday, March 11th, 3-5pm, Build Dinosaur Fossil Models ($8, all ages welcomed) Please pre-register by click HERE>>
Next Friday Craft Date: March 18th, 3-5pm, Construct Monarch Rearing Cages ($10, all ages welcomed )Please pre-register by click HERE>>